Friday, March 12, 2010

The only dog on the planet who LOVES the Vet

Thursday was Skeletor's follow up visit. Foster Mom Kim took him to the vet in her car while Ian and I rented a carpet shampooer to undo some of his little doings ;)

Kim sent me a text message with some pretty awesome news. Skelly weighed in at a whopping 51lbs! That means that in 2 weeks, he has gained about 12 lbs!

We're really stoked about this development. Way to go Skells!

So, here's my paraphrasing of what Kim told me about their little adventure...

Skeletor's reaction to the windshield wipers was priceless. He almost made me wreck the car, I was laughing so hard. When I hit the wipers to get the mist off the windshield, he was leaning from side to side in the back seat following them. It was a riot!


When we were in the waiting room, he was going crazy with excitement. He was dying to go into the back room to see the Vet and Techs. Every time he saw somebody, he started barking like crazy. Of course, I forgot to bring his harness, so he was gagging himself yanking the leash with his collar. The excitement and throat trauma resulted in a nice pile of doggie vomit in the waiting room.



Fortunately for Skeletor, he's got such a winning personality, nobody minded that he was being such a Tasmanian devil.

When we got into the room, Skelly was super stoked about the treats they offered. The same treats that took him a while to chew up last visit were inhaled effortlessly with his improved jaw strength. Skelly jumped up and put his paws on the vet counter, then with one paw, he pulled the jar of treats towards the edge. "No, Skells!!"



OK, so his manners are a work in progress. Like I said, he's such a fun guy, people find his dastardly deeds to be quite endearing. :)

So, as for the treatments... Skelly once again refused to let them take his temperature.  He was given the other half of his vaccinations. Dr. Fish also prescribed a heart worm preventative and heart worm preventative reaction preventative. (say that three times fast)



On Monday, Wes has been instructed to give him the meds and monitor his behavior for the rest of the day. Should he have a reaction and begin coughing or exhibiting signs that he's having trouble breathing, he needs to be taken to the vet's office immediately.

So there ya have it! Skeletor absolutely LOVES going to the vet, but he certainly DETESTS the whole anal thermometer aspect.



Dr Fish said that Skelly has done a good job putting on weight so far, but has a ways to go. We have scheduled his neutering for this coming Thursday. (shhhh don't tell him) After that, it's on to the eradicating the parasites in this poor guy's ticker.  I really think he's going to be a 70 pounder when he's done putting on weight!

"I love the Vet!!!"


I wanted to take a moment to give props to a couple organizations.

The folks at San Juan Animal Hospital have been absolutely amazing from the very beginning! If you live in the Jacksonville area, we highly recommend that you entrust your pets to their care!


We applied for a grant from United Animal Nations and were approved for $100 towards Skelly's heart worm treatment.


Huge thanks to these fine organizations, and to all the wonderful people who have donated!! Check out Skeletor's Thank You Page

21 comments:

  1. I'm glad to see he's like me when it khomes to vet visits!

    I go and charm evFURRYone!

    We are glad to see all is khontinuing to go well with his progress!

    As fur the tutoring, BRAVO!

    Hugz&Khysses,
    Khyra & Khousin Merdie

    ReplyDelete
  2. Good for Skelly! I love that he's the center of the party at the vet's office. My dogs aren't so fond of the place, so it's never a fun time.

    It sound like he's doing really well. Good luck with the neutering!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh my gosh what wonderful news!! I seriously got goose bumps I am so happy to hear he is doing so well!! I am glad he likes to go to the vet too (hope that keeps up after the neutering!) My first cat didnt' mind it, I am guessing for the same reason - lots of attention (the good kind). And I can totally picture him going for the treat jar - he is a fast learner obviously!

    Seriously I want to jump up and down and yell yay at the good news (but I am at work, so they would think I am weird).

    Keep up the good work Skelly!

    We are sending you some virtual head scritches - Wes, if you could pass those on from us that would be awesome!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'm so happy with all this news! Seriously, my Friday morning has seemed more like a Monday. But I am so much happier now!! And so happy to see you contacted United Animal Nations and they approved your grant. Wow, such a happy day!

    HAPPY HAPPY HAPPY !!

    Hooray for Skelly and his most awesome angels!!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. BOY, that sweet face just kills me every time! :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. He looks fantastic!!
    So excited for ya'll!!

    ReplyDelete
  8. WOO HOO!!! Go Skelly!! And great job on your fostering!

    ReplyDelete
  9. yay skelly!! way to pack on some jelly! keep up the good work. :D
    my mama says she would love to see a video of skelly and the windshield wipers. teehee.
    *woof*
    the booker man

    ReplyDelete
  10. I am also thrilled to hear the good news. I've been waiting 2 days for this.It was the highlight of my day !


    Love you all ! Good job :)

    Love Mom

    ReplyDelete
  11. Awww...this post made my heart so very much happy! (But I think Skelly is a little cuckoo for liking the V-E-T so much.)

    Wiggles & Wags,
    Mayzie

    ReplyDelete
  12. So exciting! 12 pounds is huge! And it's great to see how loving and energetic he is. I can only imagine how funny that car ride was.

    ReplyDelete
  13. I don't blame Skelly, I wouldn't want someone to stick a thermometer up my butt either! LOL

    12 pounds in two weeks is HUGE! Way to go, Skeletor! And good job to you too, Wesley!

    I'm so glad you got $100 towards his heartworm treatment. I have no doubt it probably costs quite a bit more but at this point, I'm sure any little bit helps.

    This post really made my day, thank you!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Yay for Skelly! We're so happy he's doing well. :)

    Good luck with the neutering...

    ReplyDelete
  15. We're so happy for Skelly! And.. of course our boy Skelly doesn't want somethin' in his butt. That's exit only people!

    Snorts,
    Stella, Gunther and Betty

    ReplyDelete
  16. Yeah to Skelly and to you as well!!! You are doing such a great thing!

    Jack also goes crazy at the vet but we've learned to live with it!

    ReplyDelete
  17. oh that ish such wonderful news
    bella had to go today you can wead about it in todays bloggy post she HATED IT!!
    skelly we are furry proud of you and we love to see you gaining more and more weight
    your so handshum
    pibble kisses and wee wags
    the houston pittie pack

    ReplyDelete
  18. Yay Skelly!
    You guys are doing such a great job with him!
    Ike

    ReplyDelete
  19. Wot good news. Skelly deserves the bestest care. he's been through a lot.

    ReplyDelete
  20. Skelly, we are all really glad you are doing so well here. I loves going to the vet too. The cats are weird they don't like the vet for some reason. We all has our paws crossed you will continue to get better and find the bestest forever home. ~Fenris

    ReplyDelete
  21. Skelly

    May you grow from strength to strength and have a good and beautiful life! I'm so happy to know that you are growing ever more confident and healthier.

    Take care
    x

    ReplyDelete

If you don't have a google account, you can use this guest account to leave a comment.

Username: skellybull
Password: skeletor